In Case You Were Wondering

22 May 2013



This is a picture of a heart.
The heart is absolutely, 100% without a shadow of a doubt, my favorite organ.

Mine especially. I'm sure you have a wonderful heart, but I really, really like mine. More than yours. As I mentioned before; my heart started off a little dysfunctional, but has made it through the last 21 eventful years without the slightest tremor. Well maybe one or two tremors. But nothing drastic.

You probably know that I want to become a paediatrician, but the reason why might be a little ambiguous. Yes, I LOOOOVE children. And I love science, but whilst working on my personal statement for medical school, I've been forced to think about the real reason that I want to dedicate so many years of my life to this vocation. So I thought I'd share some of those reasons with you.

I was born with an atrial septal defect and a ventricular septal defect, which means that there were problems with the walls separating the sagittal chambers of my heart. More specifically, there is a structure called the ductus arteriosis which is supposed to close when you take your first breath as a little bubba, but mine decided it was not quite done being open! This basically means that the blood from the right side of my heart was mixing with the blood on the left, and that is a big no-no.

Surgery was imperative and I underwent a large operation on July 22nd 1992. I was 2 months old, but thanks to the amazing team of surgeons that operated on me that day, my life has since been filled with trillions of moments that I would not swap for anything.

That is the main reason I want to do medicine.
Those moments.
 Yes, 98% life is boring and mundane and routine, but that 98% is infiltrated with moments everyday.

Knowing that I can use my interests and talents (that I am striving to find and develop) to help another little person have some of those moments fills me with excitement, and a sense of duty.

This is not to say however, that things won't change.
I've learned too much in the past 3 years to fool myself into thinking that life plans are ever certain. But this is what I've got so far, so I'm running with it.
Well not running.
I hate running.

SO if you ever happen to walk past me looking like this in the library

Please refer me back to this blogpost.


1 comment :