Backpack, Backpack! Yeah!

04 April 2013

What do Dora the Explorer and I have in common?

 

A BACKPACK


Now, before you judge me and think that this post clearly belongs in the N.E.R.D section- which it clearly does- allow me to explain a little bit.

Ever since the Channing days of old, I've been REALLY embarrassed to carry a backpack (rucksack for the Brits). It just wasn't cool. Year 7 brought the Kookai and Jane Norman shoulder bags that everyone had, and there was the MANGO bags and then just nice leather shoulder bags... but never really any good, sturdy, practical rucksacks. This lasted all 7 years at Channing School for Girls, and then I managed TWO years at university with stupidly heavy books, in a quaint leather shoulder bag. 

Well that was all until a fateful March evening when a waiter dropped a pot of fry sauce into Old Faithful. (Not the geographical landmark located in Wyoming; my old, scabby, 8- year old shoulder bag from a tacky shop under a bridge in Finsbury Park).

It was then that I decided to join the ranks and invest in something that wouldn't leave me with scoliosis. Good plan right?

Well it's here, and this morning as I embarked on my journey to uni at 7 o'clock this morning, I felt like I had a sloth on my back. And loved it. 

SO here's what I learned from my new leap of faith

1) Parents: Don't let your children waste tonnes of YOUR money on needless fads, to make help them fit in with their friends. (Von Dutch hats, velour Juicy tracksuits.... case and point.)

2) Don't be afraid to wear a backpack in fears that you'll look too studious. You're going to SCHOOL, AND in 7 years the fads that other people are trying to make you wear will be ugly. They will be.

3) Don't underestimate the wonderful feeling that comes from carrying stuff on your back. It's a lot better than the shoulder or forearm. I actually put a textbook in my bag today, in addition to my laptop. Who'da thunk you could put more than one thing in that little sucker.




 

Literally. I love it. I also love ASOS! I got this baby for quite a steal, especially using a coupon website that gives you great discounts (Retail Me Not. Literally magical) 


Ok. It's a blog post about backpacks. It does belong in the NERD basket. I'll just take my backpack and go.



No comments :

Post a Comment